What is a NetID?
A NetID is the username all students and employees (faculty + staff) are given when becoming a part of NCC. A NetID will allow access to:
- Logon to college-owned computer on campus.
- Access your college email account.
- Access your student and/or employee information through the online portal: myCommNet
Where can I use a NetID?
- NetIDs are used across the entire Connecticut community college system.
- If you have never enrolled in or been employed by a Connecticut community college, you will automatically be assigned a NetID when you complete the application or hiring process.
- Once you have been assigned a NetID, you will then use that same NetID within any future Connecticut community college you enroll or work in.
What does a NetID look like?
NetIDs are formatted slightly differently based on your role at NCC, please click the tab that matches best.
Your NetID is a combination of
the eight digits of your BannerID followed by @student.commnet.edu
Your BannerID is an eight (8) digit number preceded by the @ symbol. You are automatically assigned a BannerID when you complete the application process.
A Sample Student NetID:
If your BannerID is @12345678 then your NetID is:
Your NetID is a combination of
the eight digits of your BannerID followed by @ncc.commnet.edu
Your BannerID is an eight (8) digit number preceded by the @ symbol. You are automatically assigned a BannerID when you complete the hiring process.
A Sample Employee NetID:
If your BannerID is @12345678 then your NetID would be:
What is my default NetID password?
Along with your NetID username, a default NetID password will be generated based on the following information:
- The first three characters of your birth month with the first letter capitalized. (Jan, Feb, Mar, etc)
- The Ampersand symbol. (&) This symbol is found above the 7 key along the top row of a standard keyboard.
- The last four digits of your Social Security Number (xxx-xx-1234)
Because your NetID is an important component of your college role, it is highly recommended you create a strong password to secure it. There are several default security standards imposed on any new passwords. They must adhere to the following requirements:
- Your password must be at least 8 characters long.
- Your password must contain at least 3 of the following types of characters:
- Uppercase letters (A, B, C, …)
- Lowercase letters (a, b, c, … )
- Numbers (1, 2, 3, …)
- Symbols (!, @, #, …)
- Your password cannot contain periods (.)
- Your password cannot contain any part of your NetID, BannerID, or Name.
- Your password cannot be the same as any of your previous passwords.
How to reset a forgotten NetID password
You have several ways to reset a forgotten NetID password:
- Online (Students and faculty only)
- Using one of the many self-help kiosks on campus.
- Through the IT Helpdesk (Please have a valid photo ID ready)
- Phone | 203.857.6800
- In person | East Campus, Room 319
If you have any questions regarding computer login procedures, please call the IT Helpdesk 203.857.6800