International Students Center

Quick Links

Contact Us

East Campus
Room 101 (1st Floor)

Fall/Spring Hours

 Currently remote only 

Monday – Thursday
9:00 am – 4:00 pm

No hours

Summer Hours: vary


Appointments are recommended.
Call or email us to schedule.

Current Status

We are fully operational remotely via email.

Please email with any inquiries.

About us

If you are interested in applying for a student visa, please complete the following I-20 Request form.

Norwalk Community College takes great pride in the diversity of its student body, and the international students who attend the institution contribute heavily to the strong sense of tolerance and understanding that is an integral part of the fabric of the school. Students come from all over the world to attend NCC, and the college has become a mecca in Fairfield County for learning and respectful discussion that cuts across social and cultural divides. Everyone is welcome at NCC, and we feel that we have fostered an environment of mutual respect and acceptance that could well be a model for peace and prosperity in the larger world community. We hear every voice, regardless of the language in which it is spoken.

There are substantial ‘communities’ of students from individual countries within Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas here at the college. Walking through the halls, one can hear the different languages of a vibrant and diverse student body. Students from Connecticut do not need to travel abroad to have their minds broadened by different cultural perspectives; it is all available right here at Norwalk Community College.

Students from abroad are welcomed and nurtured here at the college. Norwalk Community College takes a strong sense of pride in our New England roots of tolerance and equal opportunity, and we can promise every student a warm and embracing environment in which to learn and grow.


Justyna Z. Davis
Coord. International Stud. Ser

Dennis J. Bogusky

Services available at the college

International students are welcome to attend NCC and may pursue degrees. We will help with admission and registration advising, visa processing and procurement. College, career and personal counseling are also available. The International Students Office can help make the adjustment easier for international students and can help with filling out the required paperwork. Required forms that need to be completed are admissions application, complete high school transcripts with a certified English translation, and letters of residency and an affidavit of support. We will help with visa applications, but you need to bring all the paperwork

Admissions to the College can be for Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. Tuition and fees are based on out-of-state rates.

Information for F1 Visa Applicants

Thank you for your interest in Norwalk Community College!

In order to study at NCC on a student visa, you will first need to apply for an I-20 form (a document needed to secure a visa appointment or change the status).

To receive an I-20 form, please submit an I-20 Request Form (not to be used for extensions) and other required documents to the International office approximately 90 days before the beginning of the semester you wish to enroll.

Please submit copies of the documents and keep the originals for your visa interview or change of status.

  • Copy of the applicant’s passport
  • I-20 Request Form (not to be used for extensions)
  • Affidavit of Free Room and Board NCC does not provide housing facilities to its students. Therefore, prospective international students must secure a place to live before they apply for an I-20. This form must be notarized. Proof of address must also be attached.
  • Proof of personal funds or I-134 Affidavit of Support with sponsor’s financial documents. The following are expenses for international students for the period of two (2) semesters:

Total Cost of Studies

Name Cost Notes
Tuition and fees per semester $6,729 $13,478 for one academic year (2 semesters)
Estimated living expenses per semester (15 weeks) $3,500 $7,000/year. Required only if a student lives on his/her own.
Est. cost of books per semester $300
Total cost of one academic year $21,078

All NCC I-20s are issued for a two-year Associate degree only (NOT ESL) and are based on the full-time, credit, out-of-state tuition rates at NCC. International students are not allowed to work in the U.S. to pay for these expenses. In order to receive an I-20, they must provide evidence of financial means to support themselves while in the United States in the form of a bank statement from a U.S. or foreign bank (translated to English) with proof of required funds:

  • $13,478 for tuition and books+Affidavit of Free Room and Board
  • $21,078 for tuition, book s and living expenses (if renting an apartment)


If the applicant does not have sufficient funds, he/she may secure a sponsor who will cover (or contribute to) the required expenses. In this case, the Affidavit of Support (I-134) Form should be completed and accompanied by applicable supporting documents including proof of income (letter of employment or tax return) and assets (recent bank statements from a U.S. or foreign bank).

The sponsor should be sure to indicate his/her intention to sponsor a potential student by checking the intend option (#38) on page 4 of the Affidavit of Support and listing all contributions (expenses that be covered) in section 1a-3d on page 8.

In addition, the Affidavit of Free Room and Board form, completed by the sponsor or a person providing room and board only will also be submitted as part of the I-20 application.

All documents must be in English.

Change of Status

Individuals currently in the U.S. interested in changing their status in the U.S may apply for a “Change of Status” I-20 and file it with USCIS with the application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (I-539) (found on together with other appropriate fees and documents. Change of Status

The change of status may take a year. Please note that F1 status is not a visa and thus it is not for re-entry to the U.S. Should you need to travel abroad, you must apply for an F1 visa at the U.S. Embassy in the country you visit.

If you are changing your status, you must submit a copy of the notice of action (I-797C) when you receive it from the Immigration (about a month after filing your I-539). If we do not have the notice on file, your I-20 will automatically expire 60 days after the start of the program as noted on your I-20. When your F1 status is approved, you must report to the International Office with the I-797A Notice of Action (Approval Notice) with proof of full-time registration in order for your I-20 and F1 status to be activated. Your F1 status is not active until you register and submit your registration to the office of International Services. A failure to report or register will result in the termination of your I-20 and F1 status. It is your responsibility to communicate with the College and update us with any changes.

According to USCIS, it is considered a violation of status to enroll in classes while your change of status is pending!

Before applying, please review the following information to determine whether the change of status is a suitable option: Special Instructions for B-1/B-2 Visitors Who Want to Enroll in School

I-901 Fee ($350)

All new students applying for a student visa or changing status are required to pay this fee for the I-20 to support the SEVIS system. You must pay the fee at in order to be able to make a student visa appointment or apply for a change of status.

NOTE: This fee can only be paid AFTER your I-20 form has been issued.

  • The I-20 Form can only be issued only to students who have presented the necessary financial evidence to the International Student Center.
  • Every international student must be enrolled full-time (twelve (12) or more credits) in both fall and spring semesters. However, international students are not required to register for summer courses (except for new students).
  • In accordance with the USCIS regulations, international students enrolled in credit programs may take no more than the equivalent of three (3) credits per semester of online classes. ESL students are not permitted to take any online or distance education classes.
  • If you have to take ESL courses (as determined by the placement test), you must register for the appropriate level. ESL courses are open only to students who placed in any of the ESL levels on the placement test.

Traveling outside the United States

If you plan to travel outside the United States, please bring your I-20 form and a copy of your unofficial transcript about 30 days before your anticipated departure in order to obtain the necessary travel endorsement.

If you changed your status in the U.S and you do not have the F-1 visa in your passport, you will have to apply for one at the U.S Embassy/Consulate in the country you are traveling to. Make sure to schedule your visa appt. before your trip!

Information for Students Transferring to NCC

If you are transferring to NCC from another institution and have a valid (active) I-20 form, in addition to the I-20 Request, Affidavit of Free Room and Board and Affidavit of Support forms, you must also submit the Transfer Information Form, copies of your F1 visa/status, passport, all previous I-20s as well as unofficial transcript(s).

All of these documents must be submitted to the International office at NCC in order to receive a letter of acceptance for release (transfer of your I-20) by the current school.

Extension Information

Download the I-20 Extension Request

Please note that your I-20 is issued for 5 semesters (2.5 years) and has an expiration date. If you need to extend your I-20 beyond its initial period, please visit the office 60 days before the expiration date on your current I-20 to find out how to extend your I-20.

Extension will not be possible when your I-20 expires and your status will automatically turn into COMPLETED.

The following documents are required from all students applying for admission to NCC
(Please submit them directly to admissions)

Admissions Office
Room: 106 East
Phone: 203.857.7060

  • Application for Admission: Please complete NCC admission application and return it to the Business office with the $20 fee. Cash, check or money orders (payable to NCC) as well as credit cards are accepted (no AmEx or Discover).
  • Major: You must select one of the degree-granting programs (majors) listed on the application and on this site.
  • Immunizations: If you were born after December 31, 1956, Connecticut State Law requires that all full-time (degree seeking and non-degree/non-matriculating) and part-time matriculating students enrolled in postsecondary schools be adequately protected against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox). Students must have two (2) doses of each vaccine administered at least one (1) month apart to insure adequate immunization. If you are unable to obtain your vaccination records, it is possible to have the shots done here in the U.S. (a list of places where this can be done is available). You will not be able to register full-time if you do not have the required immunizations so please plan accordingly. (More info)
  • High School Diploma: You are required to submit proof of high school completion or the GED exam. They should be in English.

Placement Test

All new students are required to take the placement test (there are some exceptions). You must first apply for admission to obtain a Student ID in order to make an appointment for the test.