Student Support Services Program (TRIO)
What is TRIO?
The Student Support Services Program is a federally funded TRIO program designed to promote the success and retention of non-traditional students who begin their studies at NCC in developmental courses. Once students are admitted, they remain participants in the program until they graduate and/or transfer to a four-year college or university. Funded by the U.S. Department of Education, TRIO programs are educational opportunity outreach programs designed to motivate and support students from disadvantaged backgrounds.
The Student Support Services Programs staff provides assessment and planning services to help students develop and achieve their personal, educational, and career goals. The program serves 247 students a year. Counselors assist students whose opportunities for success in college are hindered by personal or academic difficulties. The programs tutoring staff provides individualized academic support services designed to help students build a strong foundation for college studies. Tutors work closely with students and instructors to provide supplemental instruction that addresses the needs of each participant.
Who is Eligible?
According to federal guidelines, program participants must meet federal income requirements, have a disability, or come from a family in which neither parent has a four-year college degree.
- Academic Counseling to assist students in planning academic schedules, which meet their individual needs, goals, and objectives.
- Personal Counseling to help students resolve conflicts and stress.
- Career Counseling to design a blueprint for progress toward vocational goals.
- Transfer Counseling for participants who are ready to advance to a four-year college.
- Community Referrals when a students needs can best be met by a local human services agency.
- Tutoring, including:
- Grammar review
- Individualized instruction in essay writing
- Assistance with arithmetic and basic algebra
- Academic Advising
- Free Summer Courses for College Credit
- Workshops and Seminars, including:
- How to Write an Essay
- Preparing for Tests
- Developing Good Study Habits
- Understanding Your Learning Style
- Note-taking Skills
- Stress Reduction
- Time Management
- Overcoming Test Anxiety
- Making Plans for Your Future