Undocumented Students

Updated March 1, 2019

On April 27, 2018, the Connecticut General Assembly, with the support of Governor Malloy, enacted a new state law that allows undocumented students to apply for institutional financial aid.  These students must meet certain age, residency, and criminal history requirements along with an affidavit with the institution they are attending about their intent to legalize their immigration status when they are eligible to do so.  This does not apply to non-immigrant visa holders.

Undocumented veterans may be eligible for institutional financial aid beginning with the Fall 2018 semester.  To be eligible, veteran students must meet the following criteria:

  • Honorably discharged veteran of the US Armed Forces;
  • Thirty years of age or younger on June 15, 2012;
  • Fifteen years of age or younger when they arrived in the United States and have continuously resided in the United States since such arrival; and
  • Have not been convicted of a felony in this state or another state.

Starting in the 2019-2020 academic year, undocumented students may apply for institutional aid consideration toward the Spring 2020 semester.  To be eligible, students must meet the following criteria:

  • Classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes;
  • Thirty years of age or younger on June 15, 2012;
  • Sixteen years of age or younger when they arrived in the United States and have continuously resided in the United States since such arrival; and
  • Have not been convicted of a felony in this state or another state.

 Institutional financial aid is awarded on the basis of financial need and fund availability.  In order to be considered for institutional financial aid, undocumented students must meet these additional eligibility requirements:

  • Must be classified as an in-state student for tuition purposes;
  • Must be accepted into a degree or eligible certificate program;
  • Must be meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy at the attending institution;
  • Must meet any priority deadlines or requirements published by the attending institution related to the receipt of institutional financial aid.

What is DACA?

Norwalk Community College welcomes students from all over Connecticut. On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain undocumented people who came to the United States as children and meet several key requirements (see criteria below) may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. DACA is not a path to permanent residency, and an individual must apply to renew his or her DACA status every two years.

In-State tuition for CT undocumented students

In 2011, the Connecticut General Assembly approved a law which offers undocumented students residing in Connecticut in-state tuition benefits at the state’s public institutions of higher education. The law was then expanded in 2015, reducing the requirement for Connecticut high school attendance from four years to two under HB 6844. To be eligible for in-state tuition at a state institution, students must be a resident of Connecticut, have attended at least two years of high school in Connecticut, and have graduated (or received the equivalent of a high school diploma) from a Connecticut high school.  The Admissions office may contact you regarding your application.

External Resources

The Supreme Court of the United States has decided NOT to take on the #DACA case this term. This means if you are a DACA recipient you can continue to renew your work permit as of now.

Application process for undocumented students

The application process does not vary based upon citizenship and/or immigration status. All applicants must submit an NCC application, official transcripts, and ACT/SAT test scores.  Any applicant, regardless of citizenship or immigration status, whose native language is not English In most cases, will be required to take the ESL placement assessment. While many applications ask for a Social Security Number (SSN), there is no legal obligation on the part of colleges to require students to provide it.

Financial Aid for undocumented students

At this time, undocumented students do not qualify for CT state grants, scholarships or federal financial aid. Students are encouraged to seek scholarship opportunities from private sources.

Scholarship Do’s and Don’ts

  • Check eligibility requirements for the scholarships you are interested in applying for.
  • If an application asks for your Social Security number and you do not have one yet, leave that space blank.
  • Contact the scholarship provider for application details and deadlines.
  • Provide accurate information. Providing false information or providing a false Social Security number is a Federal offense.
  • Scholarship scams exist. Do not pay any fees to apply for scholarships

Obtaining state licenses/certifications

Professions that require state licensing or certification require background checks, a social security number and state examinations. If you are undocumented, it may be difficult to pursue any type of state licensing or certification. Some of the professions that require a state license or certificate are in health care, education, and government.

If you need more information regarding our Nursing and Allied Health programs please contact 203.857.7122

Department of counseling

The Department of Counseling provides an array of student services and guidance to help students achieve their dreams. Our dedicated professional counseling staff is here to help you clarify and achieve your academic, educational and personal goals. To schedule an appointment with a counselor please stop by our office: East Campus Room 104 or Call 203.857.7033

Information for Allies, Educators and Mental Health Providers

For additional information or questions pertaining to applying for admission please contact. the admissions office at 203.857.7068  admissions@norwalk.edu