Residency Status

Costs for In State or Out of State Residency

If you feel you qualify for in state tuition under public act (PA) 11-43 (Connecticut Dream Act), please contact the Admissions Office at 203.857.7068. (You must have attended 4 years of education at a Connecticut High School; please provide official high school transcript)

Tuition rates for Residents and Non-Residents are established by the Board of Trustees for Community Colleges in accordance with Connecticut General Statues 10a-27 through 10a-30. The college is required by law to collect the tuition amount as established by the Board without exception.

Every citizen of the United States having his domicile in this state shall be entitled to classification as a resident student for tuition purposes. No person having his domicile outside of this state shall be eligible for classification as a Resident student for tuition purposes.

Domicile denotes a person’s true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation. It is the place where he/she intends to remain, and to which he/she expects to return when he/she leaves without intending to establish a new domicile elsewhere.

You will be classified as a Non-Resident and subject Non-Resident tuition rates if any of the following applies:

  • Non-American – not on a Visa
  • Non-American in possession of a Visa
  • Au Pairs
  • Undocumented Alien

You may be excused from classification of a Non-Resident, as defined by
law, if you can provide proof (PLEASE BRING IN PROOF OF BEING A PERMANENT RESIDENT BEFORE SCHOOL START) of one of the following:

  • Political Asylum or Refugee status.
  • 1-551 coded on your passport.
  • Legally married to a United States citizen.
  • Possession of a Resident Alien Card.
  • Citizen of the United States having established permanent residency in the state of Connecticut for a period of one year.
  • Possession of an E-1, E-2, H-1, H-4, L-1 or L-2 Visa.
  • Letter from your lawyer, stating you are in the process of receiving your green card (permanent resident card)