Steps to Effective Career Planning
Please call or come and make appointments:
Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday:
8:30 – 5:00
8:30 – 4:00
Sat – Sun:
Career Counseling is the process that assists students in evaluating, establishing, and activating individual career plans. Work with a professional counselor to help discover the right occupation for your special interests, values and life circumstances, learn more about the world of work, and put together an action plan for achieving success in your career.
The Steps to Effective Career Planning
Step 1. Self Assessment
- Getting to know your self is often the first step. We can help you to determine how your interests, values, and personality styles align with careers.
- Choices 360 is a comprehensive online system of career guidance. This will help you build a meaningful career and life plan for NCC and beyond.
Step 2. Researching Careers
- Getting information on career and majors is a vital part of the career planning process. Learn how to find out information about what specific careers and majors entail.
- Get details on salary level, necessary coursework, and job outlooks.
- ONETonline is a resource where students can get more information on career statistics, possible career advancements, salary information and job growth outlook.
Step 3. Decision Making
This is the process of narrowing your career choices and choosing an occupation and a plan of study.
Speaking with your Career Counselor will be of great help in this step. Your counselor will be able to compare careers side by side, give valuable input on the growth trends, and work one on one with you to perfect your resume and skill set for your career.
Step 4: Developing Career Search Skills
Career search skills are vital to anyone who is looking to get a new job, change careers or develop certain skills. Your counselor will be able to assist in all ways including, but not limited to:
- Resume Writing
- Social Media in Job Search (ie. LinkedIn)
- Personal Branding
- Measuring and Monitoring your Job Search
- Salary Negotiation
To make an appointment with a career counselor please contact:
Career Services Center at 203.857.6947 | West 118