The NCC Department of Mathematics supports the college’s mission by providing comprehensive, accessible, innovative and affordable learning to diverse populations. The mathematical needs of our students are met through academic excellence in instruction, recitations, and individualized help. We strive to provide our students with a sound knowledge of basic core mathematical skills so they can be successful in their future studies and chosen profession.
Placement into mathematics courses is determined by the ACCUPLACER placement exam. The department highly recommends before taking this test that one reviews basic mathematical skills to place as high as possible.
The department offers a wide range of courses. To help students obtain a deeper understanding of the subject matter and to offer students additional opportunity for success, RECITATION sessions are held by full-time and part-time faculty members at various days and times during the week. Please consult the webpage for the current semester schedule.
Students interested in furthering their studies in mathematics should pursue an Associate’s Degree in Liberal Arts Mathematics/Science Transfer Program. They can transfer as a Junior into a four year institution. Students interested in Engineering should enter the Engineering Program which has articulation agreements with several colleges and universities. The department also has an articulation agreement with the State University System for Elementary Education, or Secondary Education in Mathematics. To graduate from NCC a mathematics course is required for a career or transfer program.
As we grapple with the challenges of a technological 21st century, mathematics remains the universal language and the nucleus of a liberal arts education.
Click below to expand the list of links to the learning outcomes for each math courses offered at NCC by the mathematics department.
- MAT 272 – Linear Algebra
- MAT 285 – Differential Equations
- MAT 268 – Calculus III – Multivariable Calculus
- MAT 256 – Calculus II
- MAT 254 – Calculus I
- MAT 201 – Statistics
- MAT 190 – Calculus For Businessa and Social Science I
- MAT 186 – Precalculus
- MAT 172 – College Algebra
- MAT 146 – Math For The Liberal Arts
- MAT 136 – Intermediate Algebra
- MAT 121 – Applications For Business and Other Careers
- MAT 094 – Introductory Algebra
Associate of Science
Associate of Arts
- Computer Aided Drafting and DesignCAD 133 CAD Mechanical AutoCAD
- Engineering ScienceEGR 111 Introduction to EngineeringEGR 211 Engineering StaticsEGR 212 Engineering Dynamics
- MathematicsMAT 010 Mathematics FoundationsMAT 094 Introductory AlgebraMAT 094E Introductory Algebra with Embedded SupportMAT 121 Applications for Business and Other CareersMAT 136 Intermediate AlgebraMAT 136E Intermediate Algebra with Embedded SupportMAT 145 Math for Elementary School Teachers IMAT 146 Math for the Liberal ArtsMAT 147 Math for Elementary School Teachers IIMAT 172 College AlgebraMAT 186 Pre-CalculusMAT 190 Calculus for Business and Social Science IMAT 201 StatisticsMAT 254 Calculus IMAT 256 Calculus IIMAT 268 Calculus III: MultivariableMAT 272 Linear AlgebraMAT 285 Differential Equations