Service-Learning is a process that links academic learning and community participation.
The goals of service-learning are generally to:
- facilitate the development of effective community participants
- teach academic content in an applied, experiential and reflective manner
- contribute to the community in ways that build on community identified assets and strengths and address community needs
How we can help
The Service-Learning Department is here to provide you with any assistance you may need if you are considering participating in Service-Learning or during your Service-Learning experience.
Please contact us if you need assistance with:
- Help finding an appropriate placement
- Issues at your current location
- Discussing your experience
- Linking your experience at your location with your class.
Benefits of Service-Learning
Students benefit through...
- Hands-on use of skills and knowledge that increases relevance of academic skills
- Accommodation of different learning styles
- Interaction with people of diverse cultures and lifestyles
- Increased sense of self-worth, analytical skills, and social development
- Valuable and competitive career guidance and experience
- Opportunities for meaningful involvement with the local community
- Increased civic responsibility “It brings books to life and life to books.”