About the Science Department
The Science Department houses many academic courses in the fields of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science and Veterinary Science. These courses are integral to many degrees and programs offered at NCC including the Associate of Science (A.S.) degrees in Nursing, Engineering Science, Physical Therapy, Respiratory Care, and Veterinary Technology, as well as the Associate of Arts (A.A.) degrees in Liberal Arts & Sciences Advisement Sequence in Mathematics and Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Exercise Science.
The Department has over a dozen accomplished full-time faculty members who are committed to excellence in the classroom. To aid in the retention of our challenging course material, we offer recitation sessions outside our normally scheduled class periods and office hours. Students that attend these sessions have demonstrated increased success in our demanding courses.
We are a proud sponsor of the annual NCC Science Fair, held in April, in which area high school students display the results of their scientific research and knowledge. The Fair is attended and judged by volunteers of the NCC community (students, alumni, faculty, staff, and professionals) as well as members from the surrounding communities.
The Science Department promotes science awareness and exploration, animal compassion, conservation and global awareness through its many clubs including the Veterinary Technology Club, Science and Engineering Club, Environmental Club and S.T.E.A.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math). Enriching both academic and social development, we strive to provide the highest quality education possible.
Associate of Arts
Associate of Science
- AstronomyAST 101 Principles of Astronomy
- BiologyBIO 103 / WMS 103 Women's HealthBIO 105 Introduction to BiologyBIO 110 Principles of the Human BodyBIO 111 Introduction to NutritionBIO 112 Applied NutritionBIO 115 Human BiologyBIO 121 General Biology IBIO 122 General Biology IIBIO 173 General EcologyBIO 180 Principals of Environmental ScienceBIO 181 Environmental ScienceBIO 211 Anatomy and Physiology IBIO 212 Anatomy and Physiology IIBIO 235 MicrobiologyBIO 272 Marine EcologyBIO 299 Honors Biology Research
- ChemistryCHE 111 Concepts of ChemistryCHE 121 General Chemistry ICHE 122 General Chemistry IICHE 211 Organic Chemistry ICHE 212 Organic Chemistry IICHE 260 Honors Chemistry Research
- GeologyGLG 121 Physical Geology
- PhysicsPHY 121 General Physics IPHY 122 General Physics IIPHY 221 Calculus-Based Physics IPHY 222 Calculus-Based Physics IIPHY 299 Honors Physics Research
- Sciences (General)SCI ELE Science ElectiveSCI ELE Science Elective with LabSCI 114 Survey of ScienceSCI 294 Cooperative Education Work Experience
- Veterinary TechnologyVET 100 Introduction to Animal CareVET 101 Introduction to Veterinary TechnologyVET 103 Communication and Office Management for Veterinary TechniciansVET 125 Veterinary Medical TerminologyVET 151 Small Animal Veterinary Technology with LabVET 152 Large Animal Veterinary Technology with LabVET 201 Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology I with LabVET 202 Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology II with LabVET 207 Clinical Veterinary Technology Procedures with LabVET 212 Principles of Imaging with LabVET 221 Diseases of AnimalsVET 230 Veterinary Anesthesia and Surgical Nursing with LabVET 235 Veterinary MicrobiologyVET 238 ParasitologyVET 241 Dentistry for Veterinary Technicians with LabVET 250 Principles of Pharmacology for Veterinary TechniciansVET 280 Veterinary Technology Externship IVET 281 Veterinary Technology Externship II