Suggestions for obtaining eligibility documents

These are not recommendations or referrals to professionals known by our office.

Most Important: Get in writing what the college’s documentation requirements are for the type of disability you have (learning disability, ADHD, psychiatric, physical, neurological, etc.). You can take those requirements to the professional diagnostician. The diagnostic documentation for each disability type is somewhat standardized (i.e., consistent) across colleges and among professionals. However, different disabilities require different types of professionals and different types of diagnostic methods.

You could ask your family physician for a referral to a professional who is qualified to diagnose the disability.

If you are a high school student or recent high school graduate, you could ask the school psychologist or guidance counselor at your high school.

If you suspect that you have a learning disability or attention deficit disorder you could call one of these organizations that have lists of diagnostic professionals they can refer you to:

  • Learning Disability Association of Connecticut (LDA of CT): 860.560.1711
  • Connecticut Association for Children and Adults with Learning Disabilities (CACLD): 203.838.5010
  • Connecticut Parent Advocacy Center (CPAC): 860.739.3089

These are also helpful websites for professionals serving other disabilities: