Degrees are awarded to candidates in May, August, and December. Final application must be made by the following dates:
- First Friday in April for May graduation
- August 15th for August graduation
- First Friday in November for December graduation
Students applying for two degrees at the same time must submit separate applications (see below). To be eligible for graduation, students must satisfactorily complete all courses required in their curricula, have a cumulative Grade Point Average of 2.0, and have the approval of the appropriate Department Chair and Dean.
A Second Associate Degree
In May, 1978, the Board of Trustees adopted the following policy on earning a second associate degree:
- A student who already holds an academic degree may earn a second degree in a different curriculum at a community college. Such a student shall be treated the same as a transfer student with respect to the minimum number of credits he or she must take for the second degree. This will require that a student meet all program requirements and earn at least 25% of the minimum requirements of the new curriculum at the college through which the second degree is to be conferred.
- A student may earn two degrees simultaneously at a community college by fulfilling all requirements as stated above.
- Requests for additional degrees beyond a second require approval from the Academic Dean. Students who receive approval must then complete all program requirements, including earning at least 25% of the minimum requirements for the new curriculum at the college granting the degree.
- Completion of requirements of an additional program option does not constitute a different degree.
In order to meet degree requirements, students must:
- Complete the minimum number of semester hours of credit in the degree program being pursued with a minimum Grade Point Average of 2.0.
- Complete at least 25% of the semester hours of credit in programs at Norwalk Community College.
- Complete the required courses in the curriculum pursued. In addition, candidates in Nursing and Respiratory Care curricula must complete the clinical and academic courses in those departments with a minimum grade of C. Candidates in Early Childhood Education must complete ECE academic courses with a minimum grade of C.
- Submit a formal Application for Graduation to the Records Office E102.
- Fulfill all financial obligations to the College.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I am approved to graduate?
Submit an application to the Records Office E102. If there are any deficiencies, the Records Office will contact you via your student email.
When will I be awarded?
You will have to login to your myCommnet to view your award status. Degrees are awarded to candidates for:
- May (Final audit completed by the end of June)
- August (Final audit completed by the end of September)
- December (Final audit completed by the end of January)
What should I do if I am taking courses at another college that are required for my degree/certificate for graduation?
Please submit your official transcript of completed course(s) to the Records Office electronically (Parchment) or by mail. You must submit a Transcript Evaluation form to the Counseling Office E104 for credits to be applied to your NCC transcript. PLEASE indicate on the form “NEEDED FOR GRADUATION”
If you are a potential August graduate who will be completing degree or certificate requirements at the end of the summer and would like to participate in the May Commencement ceremony, the deadline to apply is the first Friday in April. You can attend the ceremony but your actual degree or certificate conferral will occur when you successfully complete all courses needed for your program.
All incomplete (“I”) courses MUST be completed.
Students may not graduate with Incomplete (“I”) grades on their transcript.
CLEP, Credit by Exam, and Transfer Credits
All CLEP, Credit by Exam and transfer credits are the student’s responsibility and MUST appear on your NCC transcript by the end of the semester.
Where will my diploma be sent?
Physical diplomas will be mailed to the home address listed in myCommnet within 8 weeks after graduation.
Online Graduation Application
Instructions for filling out Graduation Application
- The online Graduation Application requires you to sign in with your NetID. (Forgot your NetID? | Forgot your password?)
- Fill out all requested information.
- Submit your application.
Once your degree audit has been reviewed, you will be contacted via your College email if you are missing any requirements.