Degree Evaluation

What is a Student Degree Evaluation?

The Student Degree Evaluation is a report that helps track a student’s progress toward completion of their degree program. It does not replace advising by academic advisors.

When can I view my degree evaluation?

You can view your online student degree evaluation at any time, 24/7, using myCommNet. You should check your progress at the completion of each semester, when you are meeting with your advisor and when you register for additional courses. APPLY FOR GRADUATION DURING YOUR LAST SEMESTER. CHECK FOR GRADUATION APPLICATION DEADLINE DATES.

What do I do if my major is listed incorrectly?

To update your major you can complete the Change of Major Form at the Records Office in Room 102, East Campus. In the meantime, you can run a “What-If” evaluation.

What is a “What-If” evaluation?

The “What-If” option allows you to run a degree evaluation for any available program/major.
Does my Student Degree Evaluation include the classes I am currently taking? Yes, you can run an evaluation for a future term that you have already registered for; it will include those classes as well.

What does “Entry Term” mean?

“Entry Term” reflects the year of the catalog in which a student bases the requirements of their degree. This term coincides with the term in which the student filed their most recent “Change of Major” form.

What does “Evaluation Term” mean?

“Evaluation Term” should be the current semester. The Student Degree Evaluation will include courses taken in the prior semester and courses that you are currently registered for.

What if I disagree with my Evaluation?

If you disagree with any areas of the report, discuss this with your advisor. It may be a matter of substituting a course to meet a particular requirement. The Student Degree Evaluation does the best it can to fit your courses into appropriate areas. Sometimes, there are multiple areas that a course could fit into and it will choose one. Unfortunately, the Student Degree Evaluation doesn’t know where you meant the course to fit into your program. The Records Office processes approved course substitutions when you apply for graduation.

What is a Rule?

A rule indicates that the requirement is a choice from several courses. Usually, electives must be taken for your particular major, such as: General Electives, Humanities Electives, Liberal Arts Electives, Mathematics Electives, Science Electives, Social Science Electives, and Technical Electives.

What is an Area?

An area represents a component of the Degree Evaluation Report. There are four areas:

  •   IDS Course Requirement-in some programs, one Interdisciplinary (IDS) course is needed to fulfill Core Curriculum requirements. Thiscourse may be selected from Humanities, Science or Social Science areas.
  •   Program Area-students must satisfactorily complete all “Course Requirements” in their major/program to be eligible for graduation along with a minimum Grade Point Average of 2.0. Students who have previously attended another college/university and intend to transfer credits to NCC must request that their credits be evaluated early in the graduation process by the transfer counselor. Students can pick up an Evaluation Form from the Counseling Center. Students must complete at least twenty-five percent of the semester hours of credit at Norwalk Community College.

What happens to courses that I have taken and passed, but do not fit into my specific program?

Unapplied Courses Area-all passed courses that do not appear in the “Course Requirement” list for your major/program are listed in the “Unapplied Courses” list.

What happens to courses that I withdrew or failed?

Ineligible Courses Area-any course from which you withdrew or received a non-passing grade will appear under this list, along with the (AU)dit code and (I)ncomplete Grade. Incomplete grades must be changed to passing grades to be awarded a degree or certificate. Also, any course that is below a 100 level will be in this category.

How to read your Degree Evaluation Report:

Program Evaluation – This section lists general information for the evaluation such as Program, Campus, College, Degree, Level, Majors, Departments, Catalog Term, Evaluation Term, Expected Graduation Date, Request Number, etc.

Total Required – Indicates the overall number of credits required to graduate in the academic program.

Required Institutional – Indicates the number of credits required to be taken at this college.
Program GPA-grade point average How can I find my major GPA? The GPA at the end of your required program course list is your major GPA. Used-Used indicates the number of credits used for the degree evaluation. This will include in-progress courses.

Met – Yes or No indicates whether the course requirement has been fulfilled.

Transfer – transfer credits from another college.

Term – lists the period that the course(s) were taken to fulfill the requirement.

Subject – lists the code for the course that fulfilled the requirement.

Course – lists the course number for the course that fulfilled the requirement.

Title – lists the title of the course that fulfilled the requirement.

Grade – lists the course grade.

In Progress – in progress courses are courses a student is currently registered for. In-progress courses will have a course code of “R” on the evaluation. The Degree Evaluation assumes you will successfully complete the courses for which you are currently registered.

Source –

  • T = transferred in credits for a course taken at another college.
  • H = academic history (courses taken at NCC).
  • R = registration (courses in progress or registered for a future term).

Degree Evaluation Instructions for Students.

A student degree evaluation is NCC’s online degree audit system. Access through myCommNet will allow you to check your progress toward completion of your major or see how your courses may be applied towards another program. Review this information with your academic advisor if you have any questions. APPLY FOR GRADUATION DURING YOUR LAST SEMESTER. CHECK FOR GRADUATION APPLICATION DEADLINE DATES.

  • Login to myCommNet
  • Go to: “Access Banner Self-Service” area
  • Click on: the hyperlink “Banner Student and Faculty Self-Service”
  • Select and click on: “Registration/Schedule”
  • Click on: “Student Degree Evaluations”
  • Select: “Generate New Degree Evaluation”
  • Click on: “What-If Analysis”
  • Entry Term: Select Term and Year you enrolled in your program”
  • Click on: “Continue”
  • Program: “Select a program”
  • Click on: “Continue”
  • First Major: “Select Major”
  • Click on: “Submit”
  • Evaluation Term: “Select Current Term”
  • Click on: “Generate Request”
  • Select: “Detail Requirements”
  • Click on: “Submit”

If you print your evaluation, use landscape as the paper orientation