Withdrawal Impact on Financial Aid

If you are considering withdrawing from all of your classes it is strongly recommended that you see a financial aid counselor before doing so.

How a Complete Withdrawal From a Semester Impacts Your Financial Aid

The Federal Pell Grant, SEOG, and Direct Student Loans are funds that come from the Federal Government. These programs have policies that require students who withdraw completely from a semester to repay unearned portions back to the federal government. All students need to be aware of how Norwalk Community College implements these requirements.

  • This policy affects ONLY students who completely withdraw from a semester. Complete withdrawal means dropping (officially or unofficially) from ALL your classes in a semester. If you stay enrolled in and complete at least ONE course, this policy does not apply.
  • When a student receives Pell, SEOG, and/or Direct Loans and completely withdraws, they are considered to have “earned” a portion of their federal aid equal to the percentage of the semester they completed; for example:  If you withdraw from classes after 25% of the semester, you have “earned” 25% of your Pell, SEOG, and/or Direct Loans for that semester.
  • Norwalk runs weekly reports to see which students have withdrawn and may be subject to this requirement. We then inform these students in writing of what they need to do. In some cases, student have to repay federal funds to the federal government. In most cases, NCC will return funds back to the federal government on a student’s behalf. When this happens the student will have to pay back NCC.
  • If you withdraw after “earning” 60% (or more) of the semester, you are considered to have “earned” ALL you federal grant funds for the semester. No repayment is necessary.
  • If you stay officially enrolled in courses, but do not earn credit for any of them, you may be considered an “unofficial withdraw.” At the end of the semester, Norwalk runs a report to identify possible “unofficial withdrawals.”  We then contact these students in writing as to what they need to do next.
  • As explained above, if you have to withdraw from all your classes, it is in your interest to wait until after the 60% point of the semester has passed. If you attend at least 60% of the semester BEFORE withdrawing from ALL your classes you will NOT be required to repay the federal grants. Please note that withdrawing from ALL your classes after the 60% date has passed will still count towards your Satisfactory Academic Progress here at NCC and may change your eligibility for the coming semester. You are in charge of checking your NCC email address and your mycomment account for communications from the Financial Aid Office.
  • If you have a job on campus through College Work Study, you MUST stop working if at any time you fall below 6 credits. You are still entitled to be paid for time worked until the point you drop under 6 credits of enrollment.
  • If you have a Federal Direct loan (either at NCC or any other school) and you drop under 6 credits of enrollment, your six month grace period will begin.  You will also be required to complete Loan Exit Counseling.
  • If you did not receive all of the funds that you earned prior to your date of withdrawal, you may be due a Post-Withdrawal Disbursement. If your Post-Withdrawal Disbursement includes loan funds, Norwalk Community College must get your permission before it can disburse the funds. You may choose to decline some or all of the loan funds so that you do not incur any additional debt. Norwalk Community College may automatically use all or a portion of your Post-Withdrawal Disbursement grant funds for tuition, fees, and book charges. If you have any questions about this policy, please email NK-FinAid@norwalk.edu or call 203-857-7023.

Disclaimer – Descriptions of financial aid programs are subject to change, due to possible changes in federal, state, and College policies, and/or due to changes in funding levels. The Financial Aid Services Office will make every reasonable effort to keep applicants and students aware of any such changes.