Types of Aid

When Applying For FAFSA, Students Are Applying To Receive The Following Types Of Funds

Federal Pell Grant – unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution or are subject to an involuntary civil commitment upon completion of a period of incarceration for a forcible or non-forcible sexual offense.

FSEOG- Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive FSEOGs first.  The FSEOG does not need to be repaid. The FSEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office at each participating school and is therefore called “campus-based” aid. Not all schools participate. Check with your school’s financial aid office to find out if the school offers the FSEOG.

Institutional- The Institution receives money which can be used to assist needy students. Funds represent 15% of the tuition and fee revenue that comes into the college each year. We award these funds using federal methodology.

Roberta B. Willis Scholarship -Allocated by the State of Connecticut and available to CT residents only. Awarded based upon financial need and funds available, in accordance with the state’s policy. Student needs to be in an undergraduate program of study, leading to their FIRST associate or bachelor degree.

NCC Foundation Scholarships – Click here for information

Work Study – provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study.

Loans-The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program is the largest federal student loan program. Under this program, the U.S. Department of Education is your lender. At Norwalk Community College, federal loans are not automatically awarded. If you wish to apply for a loan, you must complete the in-house loan application, available at the Financial Aid Office. We advise students to wait for a complete review of their eligibility for other forms of (free) financial aid before considering submitting a loan application. Eligible students must be admitted, in good academic standing, and enrolled in at least half time in a program leading to an eligible degree or certificate.

Please note that Norwalk Community College offers the following types of Federal Loans during the Fall or Spring or Summer semesters:

Direct Subsidized Loans  – are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education at a college or career school.

Direct Unsubsidized Loans – are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but in this case, the student does not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the loan.

Parent Plus Loans – are federal loans that parents of dependent undergraduate students can use to help pay for college.

If you are looking into consolidating your federal loans go to Direct Consolidation Loans – this allows you to combine all of your eligible federal student loans into a single loan with a single loan servicer.

Disclaimer – Descriptions of financial aid programs are subject to change, due to possible changes in federal, state, and College policies, and/or due to changes in funding levels. The Financial Aid Services Office will make every reasonable effort to keep applicants and students aware of any such changes.