Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Below are questions many students may have with the financial aid process at NCC and in general. Please click on any question to view an answer.

When should I apply for financial aid? Is there a deadline to apply for financial aid?

If you depend on aid to pay for your classes, you should apply for Financial Aid for the next academic year after October 1st of any given year. For example, if you’re planning on taking classes at NCC for 2021-2022 Academic Year (fall 21, spring 22 and summer 22); you should be applying for Financial Aid starting October 2020, using your 2019 Tax Return.

If you need help with your FAFSA, you can book a virtual appointment and we will be happy to assist you (Make sure to download Microsoft TEAMS on your laptop). You can also visit using your and a parent’s  FSA ID (if dependent) on the FAFSA. You must complete your FAFSA application as soon as possible, money is awarded on a first come first serve basis. You should follow the below dates as a guideline to when you should apply:

  • Returning Student: October 1- March 31*
  • New Students: October 1 – July 31*

*If you apply for Financial Aid after these dates; remember Financial Aid is awarded on a First Come First Serve Basis.

*For information about PACT visit the following:


What is Norwalk Community College's school code?

NCC’s School code for the FAFSA is 001399, please enter this code on your FAFSA application when you apply for Financial Aid.

What is an FSA ID?

Students/Parents applying for FAFSA now have to create an FSA ID. If you are applying for the first time, you will be required to create an FSA ID for yourself (student) and parent if applicable. An FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. To create your FSA ID today, go to to get started.


Due to the high level of security that is built into FSA IDs, you will not be able to link the same email address to a different FSA ID. If a parent is creating an FSA ID, the email address used must be different than the one used to create the student’s FSA ID.

How do apply for an FSA ID?

An FSA ID is a username and password that allows you and a parent to sign your FAFSA electronically. You and a parent must each have a separate FSA ID. Keep your FSA ID in a safe place. You will need this each time you file a FAFSA.

Do you need assistance completing your FAFSA application?

You can set up a virtual appointment and one of the Financial Aid Administrators will be happy to assist you.

Appointments can be made at Financial Aid – Norwalk Community College

Are undocumented students able to apply for financial assistance?

Yes, undocumented students may complete an AACTUS application (this form must be notarized and include income documentation when applicable). The completed form may be mailed in or drop off to the Financial Aid office (East Campus Rm 105). DO NOT submit a FAFSA application.

Is there a minimum amount of credits required to receive the AACTUS funds if eligible?

Yes, if you are eligible, you must enroll in a minimum of 6 credits per semester. Summer classes are not covered.

Once I register for classes, how does financial aid pay my bill?

For Fall: of any given year you can register online, however, your FAFSA must have been submitted to NCC and ALL requirements must be satisfied BEFORE you can be issued a Pending Letter. A Pending Letter will be given to you over the counter at the Financial Aid Office to read and sign. You will then be instructed to take it to the Business Office to hold your courses for Fall. The Pending letters are issued so students can use their aid before it becomes available. Financial Aid is awarded July 1 of any given year and ends on June 30 of the following year.

For Spring: you can register online as long as you are making Satisfactory Academic Progress. A Pending Slip is not needed. Once you register online you must get in touch with the Business Office to finalize your registration. If you were given a granted an appeal for the Fall semester because you were not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, you are not eligible to register until you Fall final grades are posted for ALL students at NCC.

For Summer: If you are eligible for Pell grant you might be eligible to receive aid for the Summer. Some restrictions may apply.

What happens if I do not finalize my financial aid process with Inceptia?

If you are unable to or decide not to finalize your verification process, you must contact the Business Office for payment plan options at  

How does financial aid send me information about my award?

You are notified about your Financial Aid award and status by email. Communication with you will be through the email assigned by the school. It is your responsibility to set up and access your school email on a regular basis. You can also view your financial aid information using your MyCommNet account.

What do I do if I need to withdraw from classes and I have financial aid?

If you are paying for your classes with financial aid, you must check with your Financial Aid Administrator  before withdrawing from classes. Failure to do so can result in you having to pay all or a portion of your Financial Aid back to NCC and/or the United States Department of Education. Please call us at 203 857 7023 or email us at

What happens if I stop participating in classes?

If you are paying for your classes with financial aid, you must check with your Financial Aid Administrator. If you stop participating or showing up to your classes, it is considered an Unofficial Withdrawal. This action can result in you having to pay all or a portion of your Financial Aid back to NCC and/or the United States Department of Education. Please call us at 203 857 7023 or email us at

What is the impact of a drug conviction on my financial aid?

A conviction of any offense involving the possession or sale of illegal drugs during a period of enrollment for which you receive Title IV federal student aid may result in the loss of future financial aid eligibility. If you are convicted of possessing or selling drugs after you submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), you must notify the Financial Aid Office at NCC immediately.

If a student successfully completes a drug rehabilitation program, the student may regain federal student aid eligibility on the date the program is successfully completed. For information on how a drug conviction impacts your financial aid, review the drug questions in the “Need Help” section of the FAFSA website. To report a drug conviction please email or when on campus going in person to the East Campus Rm 105 with a photo ID for further assistance.

I applied for financial aid once, do I have to apply again?

Each new academic year you must apply for Financial Aid online at .

A new FAFSA becomes available every year on October 1st.

What is an academic year at NCC?

An Academic Year at NCC is broken into Fall, Spring and Summer semesters; for example: The 2021-2022 Academic year is Fall 2021 which starts in August 2021 and ends December 2021. Spring 2022 starts in January 2022 and will end in May 2022. Summer 2022 starts in June 2022 and will end August 2022.  If you are planning on attending the next Academic Year which is 2021-2022 you must use your 2019 Tax Return and apply or renew your FAFSA at

What does satisfactory academic progress (SAP) mean? Where can i get more information about sap?

Satisfactory Academic Progress(SAP) is how the Financial Aid Office monitors your progress towards completion of degree or certificate. Any student receiving Federal Title IV (PELL, FSEOG) or other Financial Aid is subject to SAP. Please click here for the full Satisfactory Academic Policies

What does an IRS transcript look like?

Tax Transcript

How do I request an IRS tax transcript?

If you have been asked to provide an IRS Tax return transcript,  we encourage you to link your FAFSA directly to the IRS. To do this, log back in to your 2020-2021 FAFSA and select ‘Make FAFSA Corrections’, located near the bottom of your FAFSA log in page. Then navigate to your financial sections and choose the ‘Link to IRS’ option.

Please note that not everyone can use the IRS link on FAFSA. If you are not given the option to link, and you are required to provide an IRS Tax Transcript or Tax Returns, you may need to request one by mail.

You can also request an IRS Tax Transcript be mailed to you by calling 1.800.908.9946.

Disclaimer – Descriptions of financial aid programs are subject to change, due to possible changes in federal, state, and College policies, and/or due to changes in funding levels. The Financial Aid Services Office will make every reasonable effort to keep applicants and students aware of any such changes.