Award Rights + Responsibilities



Now that you have been offered financial aid, you must read this document to learn about the terms and conditions of your award, your responsibilities as a financial aid recipient, and the procedures you need to take in activating your various financial aid awards.


In general, your financial aid award is based upon your attendance at the college as a full-time student for a full academic year. Full-time enrollment is based upon 12 or more credit hours each term. If you enroll for less than a full academic year or less than 12 credits per term, your financial aid award will be adjusted. Students MUST register for a minimum of 6 credits in order to receive SEOG, Work Study, Institutional and State aid. This requirement is based upon limited funding and does not include Pell grants. You may only repeat a course that you have received a passing grade in once, after that financial aid will not pay for further attempts of the same class. Financial aid does not cover courses that are audited (AU), or courses for which you are registered for but never attended. Once you graduate from NCC you are removed from your degree or certificate program and therefore are no longer eligible for financial aid. The charges for any course in this category are your responsibility and you will be billed directly by the Business Office.

Your financial aid award may also be adjusted for your withdrawal from classes or the college, a change in your eligibility, or a change in the financial aid funding available to the college. Withdrawal from all your courses will be subject to the Return of Title IV Funds calculation, if receiving federal funds. With this calculation, you will be responsible for balances owed to the college, as well as, the repayment to the Federal Department of Education for any excess financial aid you have received. Financial aid awards are based upon your enrollment status as of the common calendar census date. This is a date determined by the Connecticut Community College System Office and will freeze a student’s aid eligibility based on the number of credits the student is registered for on that day. Any courses added after that time WILL NOT be covered by financial aid. Norwalk Community College reserves the authority to adjust your financial aid award at any time to ensure proper compliance with all college, state, and federal regulations.


As a financial aid recipient at the college, YOU MUST BE ACCEPTED AND REMAIN ENROLLED in an eligible certificate or degree program. You must also maintain SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS in your program of study. You must notify the Financial Aid Office of any scholarships, grants, or other assistance awarded to you from any sources other than Norwalk Community College. Your withdrawal from the college may result in your having to repay the Federal Financial Aid paid to you so be sure to consult with the financial aid staff before withdrawing from all your classes. We do not mail or email students from the information processed on the FAFSA, it is the information from the NCC database that we use. It is the student’s responsibility to update any contact information, such as: name change, address, phone number and email either through your MyCommNet account or the Records Office. Finally, YOU MUST GET IN CONTACT WITH THE BUSINESS OFFICE to finalize your registration. If you have remaining financial aid after your tuition and fees are paid, you may get books from the Bookstore and use the balance up to $600.00 to pay for all or part of your book charges. Dropping classes could result in a reduction of your Bookstore funds. If this happens, you could owe a balance in the Business Office. You are strongly encourages to get in contact with a Financial Aid Administrator before dropping or withdrawing from a class.


We assume that you want to accept all the grants and scholarships (gift money) we can offer you so we automatically accept these awards for you. After the start of each term and provided that you remain eligible for the award, your grant and scholarship aid will be automatically credited to your account at the college. If any balance is due you, the Business Office will issue you a refund check. You can track and note this activity at:

In addition to grant and scholarship aid, the college may also offer you the opportunity for work-study employment. If you are interested in a work-study position, you should get in contact with the Financial Aid Office to find out if you have eligibility. This award provides part-time employment opportunities both on or off campus. Students are paid competitive hourly wages and are paid bi-weekly. A listing of available jobs can be reviewed when on campus at the Financial Aid Office. Only students who are eligible for Federal Work-Study will be sent on interviews.

Some students with significant financial need and pursuing academic programs that preclude work-study employment may be offered Direct Student Loans by the college. If you feel you need a Federal Direct Loan please contact us to learn more about the loan application process. You can track the progress of your loan at MyCommNet . We’re here to assist you in financing your education at Norwalk Community College.

If you have any questions about your financial aid offer, contact us at or when on campus come to the East Campus Room E105. Please remember to bring photo ID with you.

Summer Eligibility

Students, who were offered Pell Grant may have eligibility to take courses over the summer.

Please inquire in the Financial Aid Office in late spring semester to see if you qualify. Please remember photo ID is required to give any information over the counter.

Disclaimer – Descriptions of financial aid programs are subject to change, due to possible changes in federal, state, and College policies, and/or due to changes in funding levels. The Financial Aid Services Office will make every reasonable effort to keep applicants and students aware of any such changes.