- This event has passed. Information listed here may no longer be accurate.
Spring Musical Auditions, THE PROM
Thu, Jan 26 @ 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm
AUDITIONS FOR THE NCC MUSICAL!
Winner of the Drama Desk Award for Best Broadway Musical
A group of eccentric and comedic Broadway stars (with failing careers) is in desperate need of attention. So, when they hear that trouble is brewing around a small-town prom in Indiana, they decided to put a spotlight on the issue…and on themselves: The town’s parents are not allowing a student to bring her girlfriend to prom. So, the Broadway group travels to Indiana, joins forces with a courageous girl and the town’s citizens, and the result is love that brings them all together. THE PROM has amazing music; it’s funny, touching, and has a powerful message of inclusivity. (Check out the Netflix movie with Meryl Streep and many others you’ll recognize!)
This spring, NCC is producing THE PROM. The musical includes a large, diverse ensemble with tons of fun roles! If you’re interested in comedy, drama, acting, singing, inclusivity, LGBTQ+ rights, and/or working behind the scenes, please see below for:
- Audition Information
- Rehearsal and Performance Schedules
- Character Descriptions
- List of Documents at E108
Auditions are fun and non-stressful! If you know two contrasting songs, please prepare one minute or less of each song. Can sing with karaoke/instrumental tracks. It’s okay to sing something from the show, but you can also sing whatever you’d like! Whatever you have, we’ll make it work!
- First Audition (in the Theater)
For the first audition, we’ll sing your pieces and read some lines from the script (of your choice, or I can choose if preferred). Please sign up at E108 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for an individual 15-minute audition slot. The possible times are either on Thursday, Jan. 26th (4:00 PM-10:00 PM) or Friday, Jan. 27th (4:00 PM – 8:00 PM). (Monday, January 30th will be a make-up day for the first auditions.)
- Call-Backs (also in Theater)
Call-Backs are on Tuesday, January 31st from 4:00 PM – 10:00 PM. For callbacks, you’ll get a specific role to read for, with a part of a song to learn, and specific pages to read.
If you’re interested in working behind the scenes, stage-managing, helping with/creating props, or building the set, please contact the above email. We are looking for carpenters and volunteers (especially during spring break)!
Rehearsal and Performance Schedule:
Our production will be from Wed., April 19th through Saturday, April 22nd in the theater. Rehearsals are on Tuesday and Thursday nights, Friday late afternoons, and some Saturdays. If you have rehearsal conflicts but can commit to the two weeks in the middle of April, definitely still audition because not everyone will be required to be at every rehearsal. Rehearsals are often broken up into individual scenes. We can usually find a way to make it work!
Character Descriptions (so many good roles…):
CHARACTERS FROM BROADWAY GROUP WHO TRAVEL TO INDIANA:
- DEE DEE ALLEN: Alto. A current Broadway diva. A huge ego to match her huge talent. No filter. Hilariously self-involved but yearns to do something good for someone other than herself. Strong Singer. Broadway belter.
- BARRY GLICKMAN: High Baritone/Low Tenor. Comedic, gay Broadway star. Completely politically incorrect and doesn’t know it. Impulsive and loves to make a scene everywhere he goes. Strong singer. Broadway belter.
- TRENT OLIVER: Baritone. A pretentious handsome Broadway star (who studied at Juilliard) who is better known for TV infomercials than any play he’s ever been in. Loves the sound of his own voice. He now works as a waiter. Strong singer, pop and legit.
- ANGIE: Alto with a belt. She’s been a dance ensemble member in the Broadway production of “Chicago” for 20 years… and has never moved up. Jaded Fosse girl with a heart of gold. Strong Singer. Moves well.
- SHELDON: A charismatic press agent. Over-the-top character actor.
CHARACTERS FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL:
- EMMA: A high school senior. Forced into the spotlight because she asked her girlfriend to the prom. A reluctant poster child for gay/lesbian youth. Very smart. Sweet pop voice. Strong singer.
- ALYSSA: A high school senior. Tries desperately to fit in. A cheerleader and top student. Secretly Emma’s girlfriend. Faces constant pressure from her mother and friends. Pop voice. Strong singer.
- HAWKINS: A small-town principal. Easily flustered. Straight-laced. Fully supportive of Emma. A Broadway enthusiast. Good singer.
- MRS. GREENE: Alyssa’s Mother and the school board president. Very strong and controlling. Loves her daughter very much but has a very specific view of what is “right” and “wrong” for her daughter and the school. Strong singer.
- KAYLEE: A high-school senior who deserted Emma when the prom was canceled. Later, makes amends. Solos/Lines.
- SHELBY: A high-school senior who deserted Emma when the prom was canceled. Later, makes amends. Solos/Lines.
- NICK: Crush on Kaylee. Solos/Lines.
- KEVIN: Crush on Shelby. Solos/Lines.
ADDITIONAL ROLES (WITH SOLOS and/or LINES) INCLUDE: OLIVIA KEATING, A REPORTER, HOTEL CLERK, STUDENTS-DANCERS, PTA PARENTS, STUDENTS AT END, SINGING IN SUPPORT OF EMMA/INCLUSION (with various solos/lines), and more…
NOTE: All cast members will be in the ensemble – meaning everyone gets to be in the group dance numbers and all-cast songs.
List of Documents at E108
All audition materials will be available on January 20th. You can pick them up at E108 or email email@example.com for electronic copies. These materials include:
- An audition form to fill out/submit at first audition.
- The rehearsal/performance calendar with all the specific dates.
- Audition scenes/songs that we’ll use at callbacks for each character and links to the music.
- The Script (However, the audition scripts will only be available electronically, as these are only “perusal scripts.” I’ll print out a few hard copies for auditions, and the show script will be distributed after casting.)
Please contact Christine Mangone at the above email with any questions.
Thank you and Break a Leg!