NCC wants to help ensure your success by providing a course of study that will fulfill your unique goals and objectives. To assist you in reaching your objectives, we require that all entering students who do not have college transfer credits or NCC credits in English and/or mathematics are assessed.
The results of our assessment will supply you and your NCC advisors with complete information on the current state of your reading comprehension, writing and mathematics skills. These results help us determine which courses may be appropriate for you. Without this information, it would be challenging for us to accurately gauge which courses may be too easy or difficult. We want you to get the most out of your experience at NCC!
How Assessment Works
Students are placed into English and Math courses via SAT scores OR 9-12 grade high school transcripts (whichever place higher).
For those with neither, we will arrange individualized online or in-person assessments on a per case basis.
In order to receive placements, you must first submit an application to NCC and receive your permanent NCC Student ID (Banner) number. (We are unable to assess you without a student ID number or with a temporary ID number beginning with “G-“.)
For 9-12 high school transcripts, contact your high school’s Guidance Office.
Complete the Alternative Placement Form for assessment in English/Math
Complete the Alternative Placement Form for ESL assessment*
*If you have taken even one year of ESL during high school, or did not attend an English-speaking high school, please take the ESL assessment. Contact Professor Hannah Moeckel-Rieke at: HMoeckel-Rieke@ncc.commnet.edu for additional information.
After submitting all documents:
- If you are a first-time ever college student, please register for a Panther Advising Workshop (PAW)
- If you are a current, returning, or transfer student, contact the Academic Counseling Center for assistance with course registration.
If you have testing questions, email Thalia at: TMoshoyannis@ncc.commnet.edu
To view your placement test results sign into my.commnet.edu Once you have signed in:
- Click on the “Banner Self – Service” link
- Click on “Registration / Schedule” tab, then
- “Items that may prevent registration” and
- “Check Placement Test Recommendations”
- Print your placement recommendations and bring with you to your Panther Advising Workshop (PAW) or Academic Advising session.
Please note: It can take approximately 2-4 days for your results to post. For questions/concerns, please contact the Testing Center at: 203.857.7077.
For myCommNet login instructions and password resets visit IT support.