Group Exercise Instructor Certificate Program
The Group Exercise Instructor Certificate at Norwalk Community College is designed to provide fundamental and theoretical knowledge as well as practical skills necessary to assume the role of a group exercise instructor in commercial or clinical exercise settings. The certificate will integrate up-to-date guidelines and recommendations into the curriculum to meet specific job tasks of a group exercise instructor, including but not limited to: class design, leadership and motivation, general exercise testing and prescription and studio management. Graduates of the certificate will demonstrate sound communication skills, life-long learning, safe and effective exercise programming and compassion for those they work with. This certificate will also prepare the student for the American College of Sports Medicine's Group Exercise Instructor Certification Exam.
Connecticut Health & Life Sciences Career Initiative is 100% funded by a $12.1 million grant from the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment & Training Administration TAACCCT.
Upon completion of the group exercise instructor certificate student will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of exercise physiology, kinesiology and nutrition related to the group exercise setting;
- Demonstrate entry level knowledge and skills necessary for safe and appropriate health screenings and exercise assessments;
- Display sound knowledge and skills needed for group exercise class design and delivery with a variety of populations;
- Practice sound, prudent, and ethical functions necessary in accordance with the legal and professional scope of the Group Exercise Instructor;
- Develop leadership, interpersonal and communication skills necessary to be an effective professional in this career path; and
- Effect continuous improvement of the profession by actively pursuing career development and maintenance of certifications.
* It is required that all students obtain American Red Cross or American Heart Association CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer at their own cost. The College will not provide this service. Students are expected to maintain appropriate certification during their course of study and internship experiences.