Create your future @ NCC

Financial Aid FAQ


Once i register for classes, how does financial aid pay my bill?

For Fall: of any given year you can register online, however your FAFSA must have been recieved by NCC and ALL documents must be received BEFORE you can be issued a Pending Letter. A Pending Letter will be given to you over the counter at the Financial Aid Office to read and sign. You will then be instructed to take it to the Business Office to hold your courses for Fall. The Pending letters are issued so students can use their aid before it becomes available. Financial Aid is awarded July 1 of any given year and ends June 30 of any given year.


For Spring: you can register online as long as you are making Satisfactory Academic Progress for the Fall semester. Once you register online you must print out your web registration and bring it the Business Office to finalize your registration. If you were given a Waiver for the Fall semester because you were not making Satisfactory Academic Progress, you are not eligible to register until you Fall final grades are posted for ALL students at NCC.


What if I cannot finalize my Financial Aid with the Business Office like the Pending Letter asks?

The pending letter states " After July 1 when I am notified of my award for 2016-2017, I will go to the Business Office to finalize my registration" Since July 1st is the Friday before the July 4th holiday, Financial Aid students will be required to come to the BUSINESS OFFICE to finalize your Financial Aid for 2016-2017. If you cannot go to the Business Office in person, someone else may go on your behalf. HOWEVER, if there is a problem with your Financial aid the student must be present or if the student signed a release form in the Financial Aid Office, those listed can have access to act on their behalf.

When should I apply for Financial Aid? Is there a deadline to apply for Financial Aid?

You should apply for Financial Aid for the next academic year as soon as you file your income taxes with the IRS. For example, if you're planning on taking classes at NCC for 2016-2017 Academic Year; you should be applying for Financial Aid in January, February and March of 2015 using your 2014 Tax Return. You can come into the Financial Aid Office Monday - Thursday from 8:30AM - 5:00Pm or Fridays from 8:30AM - 4:00PM and use one of our computers to apply for Financial Aid or use your home computer to apply by going to using your and a parents FSA ID; if you require your parents signature on the FAFSA. There is no deadline for applying for Financial Aid, however, money is awarded on a first come first serve basis. You should follow the below dates as a guideline to when you should apply:

  • Returning Student: January 1- April 15*
  • New Students: January 1 - July 1*

*If you apply for Financial Aid after these dates; remember Financial Aid is awarded on a First Come First Serve Basis.


What is AN FSA ID  and How do I get one?

A FSA ID is a username and password that allows you and a parent to sign your FAFSA electronically. You and a parent must each have a seperate FSA ID. You will need this each time you file a FAFSA, so keep your FSA ID in a safe place.


For help creating a FSA ID, or if you are having trouble using your FSA ID, click here for a video tutorial.

I applied for Financial Aid once do I have to apply again?

Each new academic year you must apply for Financial Aid online at .

What is an Academic Year at NCC?

An Academic Year at NCC is broken into Fall and Spring semesters; for example: The 2016-2017 Academic year is Fall 2016 which started in August 2016 and ends December 2016. Spring 2017 starts in January 2017 and will end in May 2017. If you are planning on attending the next Academic Year which is 2016-2017 you must use your 2015 Tax Returns and apply again for Financial Aid at

What does Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) mean? Where can I get more information about SAP?

Satisfactory Academic Progress(SAP) is how the Financial Aid Office monitors your progress towards completion of degree or certificate. Any student receiving Federal Title IV (PELL, FSEOG) or other Financial Aid is subject to SAP. Please click here for the full Satisfactory Academic Policies Satisfactory Academic Policies

What is Norwalk Community College's School Code?

NCC's School code for the FAFSA is 001399, please enter this code on your FAFSA application when you apply for Financial Aid.

What do I do if I need to withdraw from  classes and I have Financial Aid?

If Financial Aid paying for your classes, you must check with your Financial Aid Counselor first before withdrawing classes. Failure to do so can result in you paying back all or a portion of your Financial Aid back to NCC and/or the United States Department of Education. If you have any questions about who your Financial Aid Counselor is please go to Contact Us for a list of Financial Aid Staff members and their phone numbers and email addresses.

How does Financial Aid Send me Information about my Award?

You are notified about your Financial Aid award and status by email. The email you entered on your NCC application NOT the FAFSA application is the email used to communicate with you. If you have changed your email address, mailing address, and telephone number please go to the Records Office to up-date your information. Click here for a guide to view your financial aid information using your MyCommnet account.